Its presence and that of a junction to Oxford created the conditions for the future growth of Didcot.
Didcot has been designated as one of the three major growth areas in Oxfordshire; the Ladygrove development, to the north and east of the railway line on the former marshland, is set to double the number of dwellings in the town since construction began in the late 1980s.
Originally, the Ladygrove development was planned to be complete by 2001, but the plans for the final section to the east of Abingdon Road were only announced in 2006.
Today the town is known for its railway museum and power stations, and is the gateway town to the Science Vale: three large science and technology centres in the surrounding villages of Milton (Milton Park), Culham (Culham Science Centre) and Harwell (Harwell Science and Innovation Campus which includes the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory).
The town was historically part of Berkshire until 1974 when there was a boundary change.
) is a railway town and civil parish in the county of Oxfordshire, England, 10 miles (16 km) south of Oxford, 8 miles (13 km) east of Wantage and 15 miles (24 km) north west of Reading.
Didcot is noted for its railway heritage, having been a station on Brunel's Great Western Main Line from London Paddington, opening in 1856.The Great Western Railway, engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, reached Didcot in 1839.In 1844 the Brunel-designed Didcot station was opened.The area around present-day Didcot has been inhabited for at least 9000 years, a large scale archaeological dig between 2010–2013 produced finds from the Mesolithic, Neolithic, Iron Age and Bronze Ages.During the Roman era the inhabitants of the area tried to drain the marshland by digging ditches through what is now the Ladygrove area north of the town near Long Wittenham, evidence of which was found during surveying in 1994.However, from the outbreak of World War II such was the growth of wartime traffic to the port of Southampton a decision was made to upgrade the line which included the complete doubling of the northern section between Didcot and Newbury, closing for 5 months in 1942/3 while this was carried out.